Saturday, January 5, 2013

Help somebody, not everybody.

I watched a movie "Bernie."

Bernie is a real volunteer.
He works for people of small town Carthage.
He is really happy to work for people and he doesn't work for his own profit.
He found the significance of his life is to work for people.

His life seemed to be a successful one until he met Marjorie, an evil-minded widow.
He tried to be supportive to her like he did to other people.
It's not apparent that he fell in love to Marjorie or he simply tried to rescue Marjorie in solitude.
Anyway Bernie's life is destined to jail at the moment he decided to help Marjorie.
Her strong desire to keep Bernie in her hands resulted him spending more time for her and less time for the rest of people in Carthage.
His frustration was summed up because he couldn't do what he wants (the commuinty service.)
After a while, he killed Marjorie. 
He concealed her death for 9 months.
He keep acted to deceive people as Marjorie is still alive, and he still worked vigorously for the community.  He spent Marjorie's abundant legacy for community with no hesitation, too.

I found Bernie really scary.
This Mr. Nice Guy can easily deceive people.
He doesn't have himself.  He doesn't show any characteristics. He doesn't have his preference.
Is he really a human? 

From this movie, I thought that I must be selective.
I can't support everybody in the world nor everybody I meet.
Two reasons: my lifetime is limited and helping someone could hurt others.
If I try to be Mr. Nice Guy to everybody, I will be tormented like Bernie did.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1704573/


 

1 comment:

  1. Helping others is not an easy act. If you help others so you can feel good about yourself, is it selfish in a way. This is a profound topic...

    ReplyDelete