Sunday, September 18, 2011

Less Freedom.

Sometimes, steal freedom away from others can help us.
Here I have three situations for examples.

Situation: Deciding a Restaurant with friends.
1
Suppose my friend (let's call him Bob) and I have to decide which restaurant to visit.
I used to follow Bob's decision.
I tried not to show my preference because I thought then Bob would have more freedom to choose.
I was wrong!
Bob didn't have a freedom; instead, he had a work to do.
He has to choose the restaurant from the scratch.
He might like such work or such authority.
But many of us don't like it.

2
One day, my colleage asked me to go out for a dinner.
He asked me what kinds of food I like with "List"
He gave me a "List": Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Italian, and French.
It made me very easy to answer.

Situation: Seating in Class.

I teach math at high school.
In my first year, I didn't preassign seat for students.
So my students can choose any seats and they could change seat everyday.
But some of them had difficulty choosing a seat. Certainly they didn't like this freedom.
Also, most of them didn't change their seat since first day. They don't want to think about it anymore.

From second year, I stole their freedom of choosing a seat and it didn't cause any problems.
I learned that some people don't like freedom.
Situation: Making a Questionnaire.
Actually I should've learned this strategy long time ago in sociology course in college.
I had to make a questionaire to conduct research.
My teacher advised
"Free Response type questions are more difficult to answer than Multiple Choice type."


What I want to say?
Freedom means that one has choices, hence freedom requires thought and decision.
Less freedom, less thinking....and things often go more smoothly.
So sometimes I should deliberately take away one's freedom...for better.
But be careful.
No freedom, people dont' have to think anything. But they will complain!




1 comment:

  1. I think you are on the right track, “freedom gives us choices”. Very appropriate in your scenario for the place for dinner to provide choices, like Japanese, Italian etc., even to suggest a couple of restaurant names is helpful too. The choices we make in life affect everything we do, how we interact with others and even how good or bad our experiences will be. Math is interwoven into the very fabric of our universe our reality and even our interaction with others.

    My question to you is how can math give us more freedom and therefore more choices?

    Keep up the blogging

    ReplyDelete