Sunday, September 25, 2011

See the Entire Picture.

Today was my first time to attach an image to my blogs.
I'm going to solve one simple math problem:
2x+1=7-x.



Please take a look at this ugly math picture.


This shows the solution to a simple linear equation : 2x + 1 = 7 - x.
We learn how to solve this equation in our first algebra course. It is like this:

2x + 1 = 7 - x
2x + x = 7 -1
3x = 6
x= 2
I would call it "Just Calculate It" method.

But at precalculus level (I guess), we learn to use graphs to solve the same problem.
The blue line is y = 2x + 1, showing the value of the LHS.
The red line is y = 7 - x, showing the value of the RHS.
We can see that LHS = RHS at (x,y)=(2,5).
This means that LHS = RHS when x = 2 and both sides become 5 at that time.

This "Graph" method requires a higher point of view than "Just Calculate It" method.
What's good about this?

Well, think about the Google Map.
Nowadays more people use "GPS", but I don't have one. So I still rely on Google Map.
When I want to go from Point A to Point B, Google Map can give me the Direction and Map.

"Just Calculate It" method is "Just Rely on Direction."
"Graph" method is "Use Direction and Map" .


Look at the following. I don't recommend "Just Rely on Direction." method.
Try to view the problem at the higher point of view.

By the way, did you notice that I wrote "blogs" in my first sentence?
It's not a mistake.
Please check my profile if you can read Japanese.



Driving directions to Boston, MA

This route has tolls.

New York, NY
1. Head southwest on Broadway toward Chambers St
0.2 mi
2. Turn right onto Barclay St
0.3 mi
3. Turn right onto West St
1.7 mi
4. Continue onto 11th Ave
0.6 mi
5. Continue onto New York 9A N/12th Ave
Continue to follow New York 9A N
7.4 mi
6. Take exit 14 for I-95/George Washington Bridge toward Cross Bronx Expy/W 178 St
0.4 mi
7. Follow signs for I-95 N/Cr Bronx Expy
0.2 mi
8. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Interstate 95 N/Cross Bronx Expressway and merge onto Interstate 95 Lower Level N/George Washington Bridge
0.7 mi
9. Continue onto I-95 N
Partial toll road
Entering Connecticut
69.7 mi
10. Take exit 48 on the left to merge onto I-91 N toward Hartford
36.8 mi
11. Take exit 29 to merge onto CT-15 N/US-5 N toward I-84 E/E Hartford/Boston
0.5 mi
12. Continue onto CT-15 N
1.5 mi
13. Merge onto I-84 E
Partial toll road
Entering Massachusetts
40.8 mi
14. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for I-90 E/N.H. - Maine/Boston and merge onto I-90 E
Partial toll road
55.9 mi
15. Take exit 24 on the left for Interstate 93 S toward Quincy
Toll road
0.1 mi
16. Take exit 24A toward S Station
Toll road
0.1 mi
17. Keep left at the fork and merge onto Atlantic Ave
Partial toll road
0.6 mi
18. Keep right at the fork
0.4 mi
19. Turn left onto State St
0.4 mi
20. Slight left onto Tremont St
371 ft
Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment