Friday, July 5, 2013

KB, MB, GB, What Giga Mean?

Kilo = 10^3
Mega = 10^6
Giga = 10^9

I was fatuously believing this conversion rate is true.
But...I just found out that the story is a bit different in case of "byte".

When I was checking my data usage on verizon,
I noticed that the first few digits of GB, MB, and KB are different!
That can't be true if Kilo means 1000 and Mega means 1000,000.
Soon I found out the following fact.
1000 Bytes  is not Equal to 1 Kilobyte.
1 Kilobyte is very close to 1000 bytes, but it is 1024 bytes in exact.
That makes sense as the computer data is in binary.
However when I checked about this with wikipedia, I found out that the story is not that simple.
It seems that both are in use...well who cares about it?
The difference between 1000 and 1024 is probably negligible.
But 1000^K and 1024^K's difference will become significant as K increases.
Going to Tera, Peta, and larger, the huge difference will be a problem, I believe.
....I think someone has to resolve this issue in near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment