Monday, July 1, 2013

On Reading News Articles on Economy

              These days I push myself reading articles on economy. Today’s my choice was an article on Chinese economy (please see the link below) based on PMI.  I had no idea about PMI and I was actively enough to do a little search for it. I learned that PMI stands for “Purchasing Manager Index” and it is just a weighted average of +1 (as Improvement), 0.5 (as No Change), and 0 (as Deterioration) from answers of monthly surveys of private sector companies. I don’t know how the surveys are conducted, but need I know it? I learned that PMI (Purchasing Manager Index) is announced at the beginning of each month and it has a strong positive correlation with GDP. No wonder I found out this news article today! Since I haven’t seen China by myself and haven’t thought about it much either, I can’t judge how reliable and trustful this article is. Yet I found some yield from this reading experience.

First is the very fact that I clicked the link to this article and read it. Unthinkable! What’s wrong with me! My interest toward the world is getting wider and wider. In the last month I read two books about future Chinese economy. One of the books was advertised in the economic magazine I was reading.  Then why I gradually was drawn to reading economics?  It was simply because significant portion of my students were majoring economics and business/commerce. So I wanted to find out how important mathematics in these field.  

Second was my activeness googling PMI and understood the main logic behind this article. I was impressed to myself for being able to read the economic article this clearly. I couldn’t do this at all before!

The I want to gain more core knowledge in various fields so I will be able to read many more quickly and deeply.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment